I love festivals. Hate fairs, but love festivals. It is surely a blurred line, but the lack of farm animals and carnival rides at most ‘festivals’ is the main differentiator for me.
And this Saturday’s third annual Beervana? Well it’s just about my favorite local festival.
Each year, Monks House of Ale Repute hosts the September event (not to be confused with it’s cold-weather brother, Brrrvana), bringing in an impressive lineup of specialty beers, (some hard or near impossible to find), local bands and food. This year, the count is up to 52 beers, served up at eight different stations. That’s up from 38 last year.
Some notes before we get to this year’s lists of beer, music and food:
• Festival starts at 3 p.m. and goes until 2 a.m.
• This is strictly a 21+ event. Sorry kiddos.
• Cost is $20 for a punch card that allows you eight 3oz samples, or $12 for two 9oz pours.
• Bring your lawn chairs. If past events are any indication, there will NOT be enough seating. Place gets packed.
Okay, here’s the list:
Beer Station #1 (Inside Monks)
1. De Ranke - Guldenberg Belgian Triple 8.5% alcohol by volume (ABV)
2. Dieu Du Ciel - Rigor Mortis Belgian Quadruple 10.5%
3. Trois Mosquetaires - Baltic Porter 10.5%
4. TO OI/Mikkeller - Walk on Water American Strong Ale 14%
5. TO OI/Mikkeller - Dangerously Close to Stupid Double IPA 9.3%
6. Evil Twin - Biscotti Break American Porter 8.4%
7. Evil Twin - Even More Jesus Imperial Stout 12%
8. Summit - Saga in Firkin 6%
9. (In reserve) Tallgrass - Peanut Butter & Jelly Ale in Firkin 5.6% Beer Station #2 (Outside)
10. Dark Horse Brewing - 3 Pairs of Legs Maple Porter 8.4%
11. Dark Horse Brewing - Falconers Flight Dekoorc Eert IPA 6.5%
12. Dark Horse Brewing - Big Rod Herbal Aphrodisiac Red Ale 6%
13. Crow Peak Brewing - Regal Imperial Lager
14. Indeed Brewing - Midnight Ryder American Black Ale 6.5%
15. Indeed Brewing - Daytripper Pale Ale 5.4%
16. (In reserve) Dark Horse Brewing - Louie’s Long John Ale
17. (In reserve) Dark Horse Brewing - What’s up with the Monkey Blueberry Ale
Beer Station #3 (Outside)
18. Deschutes - Black Butte XXV Imperial Porter
19. Deschutes - The Abyss Imperial Stout 11%
20. Deschutes - Armory XPA Pale Ale
21. Odell - Barrel-Cuda Wild Oak-Aged Double IPA 9.4%
22. Odell - Mothman Prophecies Oak-Aged Farmhouse Ale 8.8%
23. Odell - Deconstruction 2012 Wild Ale 10.5%
Beer Station #4 (Outside)
24. Odell - Wooden Nickel Oak-Aged Pale Ale 5.8%
25. Boulevard - West Side Rye 4%
26. Boulevard - Mid Coast IPA 6.1%
27. Boulevard - Reverb Imperial Pilsner 7.7%
28. Sierra Nevada - Black IPA
29. Sierra Nevada - Imperial Red Ale 8.1%
Beer Station #5 (Outside)
30. Sam Adams - Ruby Mild 5.6%
31. Sam Adams - Hazel Brown Ale 5.2%
32. New Belgium - Le Folie Flanders Oud Bruin - 6%
33. New Belgium - Le Terroir American Wild Ale - 7.5%
34. Bitter Esters - Hombre Saison 6%
35. Schells - Barrel-Aged Barlywine 10%
Beer Station #6 (Brewery in back of building)
36. Surly - Furious American IPA 6.2%
37. Surly - Bender American Brown 5.1%
38. Surly - Hell Munich Helles Lager 5%
39. Surly - Cynic Ale Saison 6.7%
Beer Station #7 (Brewery in back of building)
40. Grand Teton - Bourbon Barrel-Aged XX Bitch Creek 7.5%
41. Grand Teton - 3-year Wine Barrel-Aged Huckleberry Sour Ale
42. Lakefront - Brandy Barrel-Aged Pumpkin Lager 9.5%
43. Abita - French Connection Pale Ale
Beer Station #8 (inside Gandy Dancer Pub)
44. Tallgrass - Zombie Monkey Porter 6.2%
45. Tallgrass - Wild Plum Farmhouse Ale 5.6%
46. Tallgrass - Belgian Blonde Sour Ale 7%
47. Goose Island - Big John Imperial Stout 11.5%
48. Goose Island - Fleur Belgian Ale 7%
49. Goose Island - Night Stalker Imperial Stout 11.7%
50. Gandy Dancer - Possum Belly Pale Ale
51. Gandy Dancer - Bindle Stiff IPA
52. Gandy Dancer - Buzzard’s Roost Cream Ale
HyVee will have a food truck serving burgers, hot dogs, brats and chicken sandwiches.
Also Snortz Barbeque truck will be there. I had their Brisket Tacos at JazzFest, and they were awesome.
Music (times may change):
4-5:30 p.m.: Jack, Johnny and Jameson
5:45-6:45: Mind Machine
7-8: Van Eps
9:30-10:30: Roman Ships
See anything you like? I know I do! See you there!